Sunday, May 9, 2010

Kelly's Post and My Comment- Week 1

WEEK #1 READING THE ART OF POSSIBILITY CHAPTERS 1-3

FEELINGS
I was intrigued with the conversation that took place in Chapter 3 on page 31 between the distraught tenor and his teacher. The young tenor went to his teacher looking for sympathy over the loss of his girlfriend. His teacher consoled him, but deep down inside the teacher was delighted for his loss thinking now he would be able to fully express the heartrending passion of the song in Schubert's Die Winterreise. Does someone show more affection in a sad song when they have suffered a loss? I have many friends that are musicians, and I think there might be some truth to that statement. I do know that when I heard a ballad I listen to the words and wonder if the situation applies to the song writer. A friend of mine had written a song called Eligy for Amy, and I wondered what the meaning the song had. Finally, he revealed that there was girl who used to come and watch him play in bars a long time ago named Amy, and she was ill which he didn't know. She was always there for him at the beginning of his career giving him encouragement, and then one day she didn't show up at the bar. He knew something was wrong. She had passed away. I guess you can say the same for life in general. When someone suffers a loss, life is more meaningful.

1 comments:

Deniela Collington said...

At first, I thought that the exchange between the tenor and his teacher was awful because I don't feel that one should take pleasure in a loss of that sort. However, I can understand how such raw, pure emotions can come across in music and how his loss, in this case, can make the music more meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment