Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Ar of Possibililty-- What Are You Contributing? Week 2 Blog


I really liked the notion of looking at life like a game and playing by the rules that suit your school of thought (within reason). Zander hit the nail right on the head when he talks about how parents want their children to be successful, even if it isn't said, it is definitely implied. I can remember having similar dinner table conversations as a child. Luckily I am the oldest and I had the opportunity to share first. However, that didn't mean that any of the pressure was taken off.

Neither one of my parents pursued a higher education, but I was expected to do so. To that end nothing less than a B was acceptable. That doesn't mean that I didn't have the occasional slip up, because I did. Let me tell you, when I did slip up, there was heck to pay. My parents saw my potential and knew exactly what I was capable of and what they WANTED me to be capable of. :) My parents always told me that the world was mine as long as I got an education. They didn't have to make me read as a child, because I loved it. They didn't have 2 and 3 degrees but they instilled a lifelong love of learning within me.

Having two younger siblings makes me the one that has to set the example. So not fair to be the first... My parents always compared the three of us, so there was a spirit of competitiveness in our home. Although that worked out fine for myself and the middle child, the youngest had issues with it. Now that I am older I see that it can be counterproductive for parents to compare their children, although I know that it is done out of love and motivation. Instead, I try to get my parents to focus more on my youngest sibling's accomplishments instead of his failures. I do not want him to feel that he falls short.

SO when I think about what my contribution has been to my family, I think that it has been that I have set a good example. I was the first person in my family to go to college and graduate. Look! I am still in college over 5 years and 2 degrees later! Since then, I have had one younger cousin graduate from college and my sister will graduate in December. Although my brother struggles somewhat academically, he is determined to succeed and wants to go to college. He has 6 years to put the pieces together, and my sister and I along with my parents plan to hep him every step of the way!

I posted this introduction below that I found on YouTube promoting a book that is about making contributions. It has been out for a while, but I knew nothing of it. I think it is going to be the next book that I read AFTER I finish my coursework!

1 comment:

  1. Expectation and parental support are so important. I'm lucky enough to be one of five college graduate siblings and my folks are just high school grads, but they feel lucky because my grandparents weren't even high school graduates.

    ReplyDelete