Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Week 3 Bog Posting#5 Social Media

From what I can see, Social Media makes things better. It fosters creativity and everyone can share and get a piece of the pie. Social media allows people to network, share ideas and create relationships like never before. Everything that one can do physically face- to- face can now be done instantly with people thousands of miles away from the comfort of one's own living room.
I use social media everyday. I hate to say it but If I do not login to Facebook at least once a day, I feel as if I have been left out of the loop... like I have missed out on something in the day's events. Social media has changed the culture of a generation phenomenally. There is a saying that two heads are better than one. Well, 50, 500, 5000, or 5,000,000 heads are better than two. The connections that can be made are endless.

I can't imagine the impact that social media, if utilized properly, can have on the classroom. Students can work collaboratively with students from around the globe in real time. They could travel to places that they might not normally see, due to economic reasons. Students can brainstorm, draft, revise and edit all online. Students can provide feedback, share experiences, and create lasting friendships. Because students are very social, the learning that takes place is more likely to stick because more areas of the brain are being used. The online platforms on which this media is housed becomes a valuable resource for a variety of subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment