Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Week 1 - Blog Posting #2 - Learning 2.0

I discussed learning 2.0 with my administrator while making the "sales pitch" to him regarding my action research project. Good teachers have always known that students learn by doing and teaching others. Great teachers allow students to do just that. While chatting with the principal of my high school, I made reference to how we should be preparing our students for jobs that do not yet exist and that one of the best ways to do that is to use the technology that students are already using so well, to our advantage. I think my exact words were: "Why don't we capitalize on what the students are doing? Instead of being so afraid of students their electronic devices, provide learning opportunities for them to use them and allow them to learn in a way that best suits them. They might even teach us something!" Surprisingly, my principal was behind me all the way and said that if I wrote up a proposal, he would back it, and seek special permission from the district. Unfortunately, I have not had the time to draft the proposal yet, but I am working on it, and will get it done right.

According to an article on Read Write Web, How web technologies are shaping education, some learning 2.0 tools include blogs, podcasting and social networking. Teachers around the world are using these tools in their classrooms and getting remarkable results. If your students are old enough to write, they can blog. I blogged about blogging in an earlier post. Student produced media, like podcasting, is a way that students can teach and learn. In this way, they are much more likely to remember the concepts taught.
References
OHear, S. (2006, August 8). Elearning2.0- how web technologies are shaping eduction. Read Write Web, Retrieved from http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/e-learning_20.php

No comments:

Post a Comment